Thursday, October 20, 2016

PB1B





When reading any type of literature there are different types of ways to read, depending on your likes and dislikes. The genre I choose to do my PB1B on is Hilary Clinton fit enough to run for President. Paul Waldman who wrote the article “Hillary Clinton is not very good at running for president. In the end, it probably won’t matter. from The Washington Post. In this article Waldman states that “For all her many skills, Hillary Clinton is just not that good at running for president.” I chose the reading style of scanning.

Scanning- which means to look over a text briefly looking for the main idea/something specific out of the whole article.
  • People may scan because they're not deeply interested in the topic
  • People maybe interested enough in the headline or the first sentence of the article to find out what exactly the text is about

I chose this reading style because I wanted to first understand why the writer chose to say Clinton wasn't a fit candidate to run for President and they're reasons why. This article in particular caught my attention because of the title. The race winding down so close to election and I personally don't have to much of an interest in either candidate. Along with that I am very aware that this a very historical election. Being as tho Hilary Clinton would be the first female president and first "First Lady" to become president. In the historical aspect of Donald Trump he would be the first president to be elected with extremely limited experience in politics. I am interested in who will be the new Commander in Chief of my country but with all the negativity attached to both of their names the heading of this article by far caught my attention.

Neither candidate appease me but as stated before I want to know the negativity attached to there names. When I saw the title of this article I was curious as to why the author felt that's Hilary Clinton wasn't fit to be president. Not being a Hilary fan or trump fan I was not interest enough to read the article word for word, but I wanted to hear what the author had to say. I scanned the article for major points that I could comprehend not being very educated in politics and their jargon. Which is a method of a reader whom is scanning.

While scanning this article I came across a statement stating “For all her many skills, Hillary Clinton is just not that good at running for president. That doesn't mean she wont be good at being president, and its a reminder that the two are not the same thing.”. That statement caught my attention because of the title being 'Hillary Clinton is not very good at running for president. In the end, it probably won't matter.'. With this contradicting statement my attention was then redirected to this paragraph and its following sentences which could give me clarity of what he meant, which is also a method of a scanner.
.

Depending on your likes and dislikes there are several different ways to reading. Scanning is a very popular way of reading. I chose to direct my writing towards this form of reading because it helps me to better understand text by picking out key points. The article I read was 'Hillary Clinton is not very good at running for president. In the end, it probably won't matter.' at first glance this article caught my eye even though I'm not very big fans of neither Clinton or Trump. While reading this article I came across a statement stating that “For all her many skills, Hillary Clinton is just not that good at running for president. That doesn't mean she wont be good at being president, and its a reminder that the two are not the same thing.” (Waldman). Which was a contradiction of the article's title.


No comments:

Post a Comment